Catholics for Freedom of Religion
America’s First Amendment guarantees its citizens five freedoms, the first of which is Freedom of Religion. Freedom of Religion includes the freedom to worship according to one’s beliefs as well as the freedom to practice that faith in everyday life according to one’s conscience.
So that this First Amendment freedom may be practiced and preserved for generations yet unborn it is essential that Americans understand this freedom and the circumstances from which it came. A fitting place for the development of this understanding and protection of Religious Freedom is inside all faith communities.
Catholics for Freedom of Religion offers resources to parish members who work to support Religious Freedom by initiating parish laity groups with these suggested goals:
- To educate and inspire for Freedom of Religion
- To remain non-partisan, advocating for no candidate or party
- To invite and include other faith communities
- To become a permanent group within each parish to educate every generation of Catholics about our Freedom of Religion…how rare it is, how dearly it was purchased for us and how certainly it is being lost.
- To recognize and oppose attacks on Freedom of Religion from any source
For more information, please contact Carol Jean Walters, Director of South Carolina Catholics for Freedom of Religion: [email protected], 843-236-0162, 631-926-0995.